Yes, that is me on a Netflix cooking set! Every time I see the picture, I still can’t believe my good fortune to have been selected to be a contestant on Netflix’s new cooking show, Best Leftovers Ever!
Imagine, a cooking show about leftovers; how awesome that leftovers are finally getting the limelight they deserve!
There are two cooking rounds in each episode. In the first round we had to turn potluck leftovers into a dessert. In the second round the challenge was to turn leftover Chinese take-out into a meal. My randomly chosen take-out leftovers were beef and broccoli and an egg roll. Watch episode 6 to see what I turned them into. As I always do, I used all the leftovers and put my heart into each creation.
Since being on Best Leftovers Ever! I have thought about other creations I could make with leftover egg rolls. We are often left with one egg roll, as I always order an extra one, just in case. I hate having leftover Chinese food for lunch the next day and not have an egg roll to enjoy with it. But if there are no leftovers for lunch, that one egg roll sits alone in the fridge.
Leftover Egg Roll Crackers are good in a pinch, for there are only 2 staple ingredients needed-flour and butter along with a little seasoning and soon you will be snacking away. No need to add much with all the flavor packed inside an egg roll. Another good thing about these crackers is that it turns one leftover egg roll into 3 DOZEN crackers. I love that leftover math.
- 1 leftover egg roll
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 TBSP butter, melted
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Put egg roll into food processor. Mince. Put into a mixing bowl.
- Mix in the flour and add the melted butter.
- Using a rubber spatula, mix until mixture starts to come together as a dough. Using moistened hands, remove dough and form into a ball.
- Lightly flour a work surface and roll out the dough.
- Using a 1 1/2 inch biscuit cutter, cut dough into rounds.
- Gently remove rounds to a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 350* for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove to a wire rack to cool. Then enjoy!
- Store crackers in the fridge and consume within 2 days
Put on your TO COOK IS TO CREATE Thinking Cap: I used cinnamon and cayenne pepper for my seasoning, but Chinese five-spice powder, garlic and onion powder, and Indian spices are good choices, too. Think what sauces you enjoy with egg rolls and incorporate it into a seasoning. What dip or topping would be good with these crackers? Sweet chili sauce is a favorite of mine and these crackers pair well with hummus, too. Have leftover fried rice or Chinese noodle dishes? Make Almond Crusted Shrimp Cakes
Still have an leftover egg roll or want a heavier snack? Make jalapeno poppers!
- Preheat oven to 350*
- Spray wells of mini muffin tin with olive oil
- Cut leftover egg roll into 1/2 inch slices (6-8 depending on egg roll size)
- Put slices into well and gently press down center
- Bake 5 minutes
- Mix together 2 TBSP each of softened cream cheese and sharp cheddar cheese, season as desired
- Spoon cheese mixture into slices and top with jalapeno slices
- Bake 5 additional minutes
FOOD FUN: Love egg rolls? How about eating 50 egg rolls in 21 minutes? No problem for the top competitive eater, Matt Stonie, in his Egg Roll Challenge. But after that I don’t think I would love egg rolls anymore!
2 thoughts on “Leftover Egg Roll Crackers”
Wow! So many different things to make from one lonely old egg roll. The crackers, poppers and shrimp dish…awesome! Congratulations on being a contestant on Nexflix’s Best Leftovers Ever. Great talent and creativity Chef. 👏👏👏👏👍😋💖
Thanks so much! I really appreciate your support!